In today’s society where families are challenged by rapidly changing social norms, financial needs and other unique issues, abortion is the issue that really impacts every member of the family – as well as medical professionals, the legal arena and the community at large.
Throughout the last few years, we’ve had many opportunities to step to the forefront and be there for all those affected by abortion.
With recent law changes in both Queensland and New South Wales, we’ve been busy….
kept the public informed of the latest happenings alongside the human stories and medical information required for context.
Our campaign activities around the proposed law changes in Queensland and New South Wales included the following….
- Made submissions to Parliamentary Inquiries into the bills
- Appeared at Public Parliamentary Hearings
- Met with MP’s to offer information and assistance
- Provided MP’s with supporting material for speeches in Parliament
- Spoke to media about how the proposed changes would impact our communities
- Provided campaign guides to our members, including letter writing guides, submission guide and live tweeting of the debate as it unfolded in Parliament
- Supported professionals to make Parliamentary Submissions
- Co-hosted Parliamentary panels, rallies and letter writing sessions to empower community members to have input on this issue.
- Direct lobbying
Every action makes a difference. But it was great to see positive outcomes from our campaigns.
- Defeat of 2016 Queensland abortion bill
- Media coverage featuring AFA executive & members
- Two detailed public opinion polls
- 55,000 signatures from Queensland alone on official Parliamentary petition (2018)
- Over 1,000 hand written letters sent in conjunction with other groups
- MP’s using our points and messaging, along with stories from our members, in their Parliamentary speeches